Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday Arvo at the Labour in Vain

I managed to spend an enjoyable part of my Sunday arvo this weekend enjoying a pint of Guinness at the Labour in Vain Hotel in Fitzroy. It was a brilliant way to kill a bit of the day and the feeling of inner city Melbourne permeated the place and made me feel quite content.

I'm not sure exactly what it was that gave the place that vibe, but it probably started with a random collection of Melbourne's miscellaneous odds and sods rushing inside wearing a collection of the pubs own footy jumpers, assorted beards, beanies and ruby red lipstick to escape the miserable cold and wet weather outside. To be then greeted by the sounds of Melbourne rock icon Spencer P. Jones playing a warm up solo set, before the full band were set to join him later onstage.... or in the corner as it was!

Tommy Emmanuel in full length country styled denim overalls propped up one end of the bar as Spencer repeatedly threatened that he was "coming to get him".

While two kids playing the Simpsons pinball machine in the corner as their old man drank with other members of the Pain's football club reminded me of one of my earliest memories of Melbourne: playing the Adams Family pinball machine and drinking pub squash as my Dad and Uncle Kev enjoyed a couple of quiet ales.

2 comments:

  1. I think my uncle had the Adams Family pinball machine in his shed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words. You seem to capture the atmosphere of the Labour quite well. The two boys love going to the pub after watching the "old man" train with the Painers. The boys think they are famous now.

    ReplyDelete